June 21, 2012

Harlem Renaissancing

My last day in New York City was without a doubt, my best day in New York City. I ventured to Harlem and absolutely loved it. 


Last semester I had the pleasure of taking an African American Lit class and a big topic of discussion in the class was the Harlem Renaissance. I read the works of Nella Larsen, Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, and many many more. In particular I really enjoyed Larsen's novel Quicksand, about the fictional character of Helga Crane. Helga is mixed (her mother is Danish, her father black), living in the midst of segregation, and as a result having a hard time figuring out where she fits in. During a period of discovery, Helga moves to Harlem where she makes some major life altering decisions. While my time in Harlem wasn't life altering, it most certainly was fun.



It was incredibly lively, full of personality and everywhere I turned there were extremely well dressed people! 
I soaked up the environment, did a little (okay, a lot) of shopping and stopped by Sylvia's for some yummy soul food.

Sylvia's in the background

Fried chicken, ribs, mac & cheese, collard greens























For my day, I dressed brightly in yellow polyester pants, an orange tube top, gold elephant necklace, my new sunnies, and red lipstick.

Shirt: Macy's - $9.99
Pants: Forever21- $14.50
Shades: Necessary Clothing: $4.99
Shoes: T.J.Maxx- $24.99
Necklace: Wet Seal - old 
Did I manage to pull off all these colors, or did I look like a lost bag of skittles...your thoughts?

Linking up with: A Little Bit of Lacquer

2 comments:

  1. Great write-up,It gives very interesting information to us.. Must agree that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw. Thanks for posting this informative article

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time

    ReplyDelete